Wednesday, March 18, 2009

The TED Spread Stabalizes

·

I'm going to start monitoring some of the key economic indicators to help track where we are in the economic recovery process. The first that we will be looking at is the TED Spread.

In short, the spread is used to measure of the perceived risk of credit in the overall economy. It measures the difference between interest rate on US Treasury Bills (considered to be risk free) and the cost of inter-bank loans ("credit flow"). See the chart below:


The TED spread has stabilized to August 2007 levels, and with the FED taking some drastic action, I would expect the spread to trend down in the coming months. Yet another positive indicator that the crisis is beginning to find a bottom.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Our Deal

The markets are crashing, thousands of people are losing their jobs and the government keeps funneling money into broken banks. This little blog will help explain why this is happening and how we fix it.

I'd like to preface this experiment with a contract between myself and my readers. My promise to you is that I will be civil, non-ideological, well researched and honest. In return, I only ask that you think.

Send questions to: ouremptywallets@gmail.com

Quick Search

Recent Comments